Position Title:Data Architect
Company:The Scottish Government
Around 1,300 people work within ARE, and we are about to embark on the biggest transformation in our history. We have a mission to not only sustain the rural economy, but drive better land use, and ensure that food production, quality and availability is maintained. EU Common Agriculture Policy (CAP) payments are ending and ARE is responsible for administering new rural support schemes in a just transition over the next 3-4 years. A critical part of this will be the use of digital tools to drive new incentives, funding options and behaviours amongst our agriculture customer and land managers.This focus on digital transformation will increasingly see the use of cutting-edge tools such as satellite and geospatial technology, IOT and 5G, and new customer facing digital services and platforms that put data at the heart of our digital services. We will be reducing our reliance on proprietary technology, reducing technical debt, favouring open source where appropriate and leveraging the benefits of public cloud offerings.
- Deliver a strategic plan for the implementation of an analytics and visualisation platform to enable data driven decision making across our organisation.
- Drive the adoption of innovative tools such as IOT, artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Review current, and where necessary implement new, levels of data governance.
- Create a new data strategy to harness data from multiple physical environments in a way that will drive better decision making and customer centric services across the organisation.
- Sit in on our Architecture Review Board as a domain expert to ensure new data related designs are conformant and fit for purpose.
- Pen a multifaceted data strategy, that is relevant, understood and can be realistically executed within ARE at pace.
- Engage with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to understand user experience and future data product needs.
- Improve the wider data literacy of ARE and drive the centricity of data within our culture.
- Work closely with the Chief Technology Officer to design and build world-class, multi-faceted data architecture to replace existing legacy technology
- Curiosity and inquisitiveness
- Passionate about technology and the role it plays in transforming business and society
- Positive approach to learning, to keep up to date with your area of expertise
- Strong desire to build a career and develop in a Procurement role
About The Scottish Government
The devolved government for Scotland is responsible for most of the issues of day-to-day concern to the people of Scotland, including health, education, justice, rural affairs, and transport.